What Else Can I Do To Properly Maintain My Septic System?
- Do not flush bulky waste into the system. It can plug the tank and/or distribution lines. Paper towels, tissues, feminine products, cigarette butts, hair, etc. belong in the garbage, not the toilet.
- Do not flush toxic materials into the system. Paint thinner, gasoline, pesticides, chlorine, drain cleaners and other caustic or toxic substances can kill the naturally-occurring bacteria in the tank and impair its function.
- Do not use colored toilet paper. It does not break down as rapidly as white paper.
- Minimize or eliminate the use of garbage disposals that grind up waste food. This places a heavy burden on your system.
- Conserve water. Invest in flow control shower heads and low flush toilets. Too much water can overload your system.
- Direct rain gutters and surface drainages away from leach fields.